This webinar will focus on the topic of schizophrenia. Specifically: –
1. Classification of schizophrenia: positive and negative symptoms, reliability and validity in diagnosis, co-morbidity, culture and gender bias and symptom overlap
2. Biological explanations for schizophrenia; genetics, dopamine hypothesis and neural correlates
3. Psychological explanations: family dysfunction and cognitive explanations
4. Drug therapy: typical and atypical antipsychotics
5. CBT and family therapy, token economies
6. Interactionist approach: diathesis-stress model
The focus will be on teaching. You will be given innovative and active ideas for delivering this topic to students effectively. We will discuss how to make the learning ‘stick’ and strategies for making the content accessible to lower ability students and stretch and challenge for the more able will also be discussed. We will also look at the assessment requirements of this topic and how to ensure students can access top grades. Upgrade your lessons from ‘good’ to ‘outstanding’!
There will be an opportunity for sharing good practice and discussion.